Something new is coming and it’s…
June 4, 2015
If you’ve written a book (or are thinking about writing a book)…and want to make more money and stop being the best kept secret – watch your inbox next week.
I have something new and I’m very excited to be sharing it with you.
Watch this space next week. (2nd Week of June 2015)
Here’s to Your Brand & Your Brilliance,
6 Things you need to think about when pitching your book to Literary Agents and Publishers
April 16, 2015
This is a perfect time of year to pitch your book to literary agents and publishers.
Book Expo America is coming up May 27th – 29th at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in New York City. Whether you’ll be attending the New York Book Expo or a much smaller book festival, there are several strategies that you will want to know before you pitch your book, whether it’s fiction or non-fiction!
I want to share the six book pitching strategies that I shared with a room full of writers most recently at the Los Angeles Writer’s Conference. In fact, we kept adding more authors, even after we “closed” the session several times.
Don’t forget: agents must feel that they can sell your book and publishers must feel that they will receive their financial investment back from publishing your book. Anyone who has self-published their book understands that a good quality book that has been professionally edited can easily cost $5,000 – $10,000.
I have two strategies for you under Mental Preparation and four strategies for Physical Presentation.
Be PROUD of your book and its message/story.
- Confidently pitch your book idea. Your message/story needs to get out into the world. No more playing small!
- Know that agents and publishers are always looking for manuscripts to buy! Yes, you read correctly. Agents and publishers depend on writers to make a living. And, when you have an excellent pitch that is organized, catches the attention and interest of the agent or publisher and you have developed a good brand and platform…they are all ears.
Create a 60-second pitch that includes CREDIBILITY & CELEBRITY!
- Overview the book’s message in an interesting way, including the problem your book solves, brings to light or engage and entertains.
- Who are you? I know this may sound funny, but you MUST have a clear and unique Brand when pitching to agents and publishers. You must show them that your book is unique, no matter what the topic or who the characters are.
- Why are YOU the best person to write this book? Literary Agents and Book Publishers need to know why you are writing this book and why you are the best person to do so…in 60 seconds or less, what is your book about, why are you the person to write it and how do you know it will sell….and the publisher will get their investment back?
- How many people do you have access to? Hint: What type of following do you have? Yes, social media is important. But here’s the great news…agents and publishers really don’t look at the “quality” of your fan base…they are only interested in the final numbers. This is the time to really build up your social media following.
One last thought: Keep pitching until you get a deal…rejections only mean that it’s time to pitch to another agent or publisher!
Every year I do a pitching workshop the first day of the New York Book Expo in New York City. If you are interested in a complimentary 30 minute book pitching strategy, please go here and fill out the questionnaire.
Writer’s Discovery Session questionnaire
Here’s to Your Book & Your Brilliance!
Attract More Clients by DOING Less
October 14, 2014
“Is Less Marketing Secretly BETTER For Your Business Than More?”
Most recently I had the opportunity to “see”….once again, what working in “overdrive” looks like. I woke up early in the morning to journal which helped me organize thoughts, download insights and even plan my day.
Then, as the day moved on I was getting more and more anxious with all of the “things” I needed to do…not that they weren’t important, but I was feeling and acting in overwhelm.
I know better…but forgot!
Then, a BIG reminder “hit” and I was in my first major car accident three weeks ago…that forced me to stop! It “forced” me to stop and reflect as to how this happened…and I believe with all of my heart that the Universe was not getting through to me and knew I needed a BIGGER flash….and boy, was it big.
I’m okay except for the seat belt that went into my chest…hard! Thank goodness the air bags didn’t inflate…I’d have even more bruises.
So, before you get in overwhelm with all of the “things you need to do,” ie. Social media, multiple marketing strategies that you feel need to be started immediately and all of the other “stuff” that takes you away from your primary business focus of business development and simple and consistent marketing strategies daily…
slow down and become aware of your internal overwhelm “chatter”.
How to Have Time for Your Newsletter and Other Marketing
August 8, 2014
When I talk to entrepreneurs about marketing, including sending out newsletters, I so often hear, “But Ruth, I don’t have time to do that.” Well, let me share with you that it’s so important that marketing is part of your day, and very important to your business.
Below I share with you some productivity tips so that you do have the time to spend on marketing.
Here’s a tip for your newsletter…. For the longest time I was sending the newsletter inconsistently because it was just too much to write an article every week. Now, however I have a new system…when I think of an article topic, I talk into a recorder and that becomes the article. My virtual assistant takes the audio recording and converts it into an article, at least the first draft, and then she sends it to me. I make any changes and it’s done.
Do You Want More Sparkle in Your Business & in Your Book?
July 8, 2014
Are you feeling exhausted working in their business? Do you feel as though you’re spending way too much time for the little amount of satisfaction and financial gain you’re receiving from your time and efforts?
This is a common challenge among entrepreneurs! What if I told you that it doesn’t have to be so hard, time-consuming, energy draining and expensive to be in your business…there’s a much easier and more fulfilling way to attract your ideal clients.
It just takes a few tweaks to make a big difference if something in your business is not working…or if you’re wanting to get better results.